Designing and facilitating professional learning sessions is a collaborative effort between myself and my clients. This page lists several teaching and learning themes which I am able to customize to ensure that the session learning outcomes match client goals and the facilitation design is differentiated for professional learners attending.
Foundations of Teaching and Learning
- Classroom Management: More than strategies, how do we recognize underlying causes of student behaviour in order to support self-awareness and self-regulation?
- Building Resilience through the Circle of Courage: How do we help to support student growth and resilience through a strong classroom community?
- Multi-graded Instruction: How might you plan for multi-graded instruction in a manageable and sustainable way?
- Infusing First Nations, Inuit and Metis Perspectives: How do we do this authentically and holistically while meeting curricular outcomes?
- High Impact Instructional Strategies: How do we select instructional strategies that have the most impact on student learning?
- Increasing Student Engagement: How might we increase student engagement through instruction in our classrooms?
- Differentiation: Differentiating instruction is not about creating separate lesson plans for each child, so what is it?
- Planning for Outcomes-Based Assessment and Instruction: How do you move from curricular outcomes to instructional activities and assessment criteria?
- Formative Assessment: What formative assessment strategies can be infused into instruction seamlessly in order to inform both teacher and students?
- Feedback for Learning: How might we structure and give feedback to move learning forward without exhausting the teacher?
- Comprehension Strategies Across All Subjects: How do we help students make meaning of new and complex information in all subject areas?
- Writing Across All Subjects: How do we encourage students to use writing as a way of showing what they know across all curricula? How do we assess it?
- Building Readiness in Mathematics Learners: How do we assess and respond to understanding and fluency gaps in students before we engage in new instruction?
- Planning for Differentiation in Mathematics: How might we differentiate our tier 1 instruction to meet student learning styles and needs?
- Multi-Graded Mathematics: What are the planning processes and classroom structures that can support multi-graded mathematics?
- Math Routines, Puzzles and Games for Fluency: What mathematics routines and games are invaluable when building automaticity of basic skills?
- Math Instruction for ALL Students: How do we structure our classrooms to allow for math learning for everyone?
- Math Content Specific Workshops:
- Developing Number Sense – including Patterns and Place Value
- Number Operations: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division
- Fractions, Decimals and Percent
- Understanding Measurement
- Algebraic Thinking
- The Math of Triangles
- Inquiry in Science: What are the four levels of inquiry, and how do we teach the skills of inquiry as students progress through them?
- Comprehension Strategies in Senior Science: How do we support students in making sense of complex science text and hands on activities?